As parents, we all know that accidents can happen. It is important to teach toddlers and preschoolers basic road safety knowledge so that they are more aware about the dangers of the road.
Mummy Janice created a simple Road Safety Board Game for her preschooler with the objective to learn through play. This game will teach children important number concepts while having fun and learning how to share and take turns!
To get started, you have to:
- Print out the Road Safety Board Game preferably in A3 .
- Print out the DOs and DON'Ts draw cards. The cards are two sided. The front of the card is the image while the back of the card is the road safety rule.
How to play?
- Each player puts their counter on the space that says 'Start'.
- Take it in turns to roll the dice. Move your counter forward the number of spaces shown on the dice.
- If your counter lands at DO, draw a card from the deck of DOs cards. Please explain the Road Safety Rule indicated on the card clearly. You have to move forward by the number of spaces indicated on the Board.
- If your counter lands at DON'T, draw a card from the deck of DON'Ts cards. Please explain the Road Safety Rule indicated on the card clearly. You have to move backward by the number of spaces indicated on the Board.
- If your counter lands at PLAY TWICE, you get to roll the dice again.
- The first player to get to the space that says 'End' is the winner.
CLICK the below to download the printables
Mummy Jaclyn got her toddler to learn about Road Safety through arts & crafts and simple game.
Her objectives are:
1. Teach about the traffic light and the rules to follow.
Red Man means DO NOT CROSS and Green Man means CROSS WITH CARE.
2. Identify what each colour in the traffic light means.
- Red means STOP
- Amber means SLOW DOWN
- Green means GO
Traffic Light Craft Activity 1:
You will need:
- an empty 1L milk carton
- red, green and yellow construction papers (3 colours each with 2 inches diameter)
- cardboard roll from kitchen towel
- double-sided tape
Traffic Light Craft Activity 2:
You have to print out the Red man and Green man from the link below:
- Get your child to stick red and green studs onto the Red man and Green man. This serves to work on fine motor skills
- Cut out the Red man and Green man after completion.
- Paste them on the right side of the traffic light craft.
With the completed traffic light craft, Mummy Jaclyn played a simple game with her child to reinforce Road Safety.
Role Play: Pedestrian
- What do you have to do when it is green man?
- What do you have to do when it is red man?
Role Play: Cyclist or Driver
- What do you have to do when the traffic light turns red?
- What do you have to do when the traffic light turns green?
- What do you have to do when the traffic light turns amber?
We have to stay consistent. Once we teach our children Road Safety Rules, it is important that we always follow those rules. Undeniably, the best way to learn about Road Safety is to have practical lessons!
Content Source: Mummy Janice and Mummy Jaclyn
Edited By: Preschool Resources
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of Preschool Resources