MUSICAL DICE (Note Values)
Introduction: Here at Seimpi School of Music, we aim to provide a holistic music education by engaging the multi-sensory experiences and use brain-based concepts to ensure fun and enjoyment in the midst of high quality music training.
In Seimpi, our objective is to equip young children with the skills and attitude that are necessary to help them in achieving their highest potential in life. And we use music learning as the vehicle to achieve the above objective and help the children in our school. Our belief is that every child is a born genius. They all have the potential in them to achieve many great things in life and to make a difference in the world. However, unless we as parents, care-givers and teachers help them to unleash and discover these potential, they will remain hidden.
Age group: 18 months to 3 years old
- Counting rings/blocks/bricks
- Dice with different note values plus 1 star (semibreve – 4 counts, dotted minim – 3 counts, minim – 2 counts, crotchet – 1 count, and 1 star as a bonus point) Child will get 2 stickers for each bonus point
- Post it notes
How to play:
1. The children will be gathered and seated on the floor in a circle. The counting materials/blocks will then be placed in the middle.
2. One child will roll the dice. The musical note value lying facing up indicates the question that the child has to answer. He/she has to respond with the name of the note and the note value (number of counts). If he/she gets the star, it will be considered a bonus point.
3. The counting materials/blocks placed in the middle will be used to indicate the number of counts by the child.
4. If the child gets the correct answer, he/she will receive 1 sticker.
5. The dice will then be passed on to the next child. The first child with 5 stickers will be declared the winner!
Extension to this game for older children:
Use this dice with regular 'Snakes and Ladders' board game.
Objectives of the game:
- Visual Recognition: To use interesting play to develop the visual recognition of different note value
- Linking Memory: To link the note value with their respective counts, using hands-on aids to deepen their understanding and memory
Semibreve – 4 counts
Dotted Minim – 3 counts
Minim – 2 counts
Crotchet – 1 count
Content Source: Seimpi Music School