Creepy Crawlies Visual Discrimination Skills
Visual discrimination is the ability to recognize similarities and differences between shapes, size, colours, objects and patterns.
Why do children need it?
1. Visual discrimination is an essential skill needed for reading. Children need to be able to determine whether a letter is a lower case or an upper case. Children must be able to successfully distinguish between different letters in order to read and write words.
2. Visual discrimination is required in Mathematics. Numbers and mathematical concepts rely on the ability to distinguish between different number symbols, just like letters.
3. Often a teacher will demonstrate and activity and the children will be asked to replicate the activity in class. Or, children may be asked to make observations about the experiment by drawing a picture or writing descriptive sentences. A child with weak visual discrimination skills will be unable to replicate the work or draw analysis. Well-developed visual discrimination skills is important in learning.
4. Visual discrimination skills facilitate smooth social interactions. Children must be able to interpret and understand facial expressions and body language to interact comfortably with others.
Signs & Symptoms of Visual-Discrimination Dysfunction
- Trouble learning the alphabet
- Trouble recognizing words
- Mistakes words with similar beginnings
- Overgeneralizes – confuses minor likenesses and differences
- Does not recognize the same word if repeated again on a page
- Trouble with remembering and writing letters and numbers
- Short attention span
- Problems concentrating
- Traces or touches figures
- Difficulty with understanding instructions
- Hyper or hypo active
Preschool Resources created Creepy Crawlies Flash Cards in both English and Chinese with the aim to hone your child’s visual discrimination skills. The possibilities to use these cards are many!
Directions for use:
- Match Toobs Figurines to the Flash Cards be it in English or Chinese.
- Match English Flash Cards to Chinese Flash Cards.
- Lay the English Flash Cards flat on a surface. Then shout out the creepy crawly you want your child to identify. You may get your child to point at it
- or use a fly swatter to hit it for added fun!
- Lay the Chinese Flash Cards flat on a surface. Then shout out the creepy crawly you want your child to identify. You may get your child to point at it or use a fly swatter to hit it for added fun!
- Memory game.
- Get child to describe the differences or similarities between two creepy crawlies.
CLICK HERE to download the Free Printables
These are examples of activities which hone visual discrimination skills.
Differentiating small, medium and large
Pattern recognition ABCA, ABAB & ABBA
Try these fun activities at home to help your child with their visual discrimination skills.
- Spot the difference
- Games – bingo, dominoes, memory games (children match cards with matching objects)
- Art activities – creating colour collages (make a collage using materials of the same colour, size or shape)
- Create silhouettes of objects & then match the silhouettes to their objects.
- Language activities – describe the differences or similarities between two objects.
You do not need elaborated materials to hone your child’s visual discrimination skills. Be creative and use whatever you can find at home!
We love. We gather. We create for the little minds…
Content Source: Mummy Pearlyn
Edited By: Preschool Resources
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of Preschool Resources.